Skip to main content

Domain name registration through Google - when things go wrong.

Not too many people know, that you can register new domains through Google. This can be done when you're registering for Google Apps Standard Edition which is free and somewhat stripped version of their Google Apps Premium Edition. Latter one is tailored more to suit business needs.

With $10/year prize tag it's not cheapest option, but you'll get "private domain registration to protect against spam at no extra cost, full DNS control and domain management, automatically configured to work with Google services, email, calendar, instant messaging, web pages and more also at no extra charge".

As a comparsion GoDaddy offers .org domains at $14.99/year so it's actually not that bad offer. Google actually is just collecting the data and sending it to their partners (godaddy, enome) which does the registration. I decided to give it a try at January 11th. To my big surprise things didn't went that smoothly. It's been now one week since my order - the domain I registered is actually not registered at all - it's up for grabs for anyone out there. All I got was account to Google Apps Standard Edition. After one days waiting I figured out there's something wrong with my order as my domain was freely available and in my Google Apps Dashboard my status was "Not active, pending payment", so I asked Google a status request about my order. I got automated reply stating that my orders payement was pending and I should wait them to process it. I waited one more day and since things didn't get better I sent another mail stating that my order was invalid. Once again I got automated reply without any useful info (except the fact that by replying to that mail Googles personnel should contact me). I replied to the mail stating that there really is something wrong as my payement hasn't gone through. I waited few days for reply which I never got.

At this point all I wanted was to delete my google apps account so I can retry, so I browsed through google help center and forums for information. What I found was that you actually CAN'T delete your account if you're ordered your domain through Google (http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=56236). Wait what? So.. now I have Google apps standard edition account for my nonexisting domain which I can't delete so that I could try registering again. Also, I can't get any contact to Googles "customer service" to get someone to solve this.

I did a quick search from Google Help forums with words "Not active, pending payment" and got quite a lot of results. It seems that Google staff reads those forums and can "flag" some posts which some support personnel can then pick and solve so I left their forum message describing my case and asking for any help. I haven't got any replies yet.

As a summary about everything above: I'm a victim of extremely automated process which had some hickups when it was processing my order and I'm not too happy about that. I know Googles strength isn't in customer service but in their extremely scalable systems. What pisses me most is that their system didn't work for me.

Based on my experience I really can't recommend anyone registering their domain names through Google.

End of rant.

Comments

  1. I registered for domain name through google. My credit card was charged. It was mentioned that the charge was for one year but in the billing account they were charging the amount on monthly basis. I wanted to delete my registration. I am struggling to find out how to do it. There is no way of communicating with google. It is very frustrating and scary. Now I am not sure whether my credit card would be charged every month ? The only way now is to change my credit card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Speed comparsions between Plone and Wordpress

Jon Stahl wrote recently a blogpost about Plone being three times faster than Dropal, Joomla and Wordpress . We had a small discussion about this in my workplace and as my colleague pointed out this wasn't a really that comprehensive test that you could state Plone being 3 times faster than it's competitors. This seemed a bit unfair test considering how fast this has been spread in tweet/blogosphere, so I decided to repeat the test with a bit more critical viewpoint. What's wrong in the original test? No one would consider opinion poll with 10 answers nowhere near trustworthy - it's all the same with requests. I didn't want to put up all the cms so I just set up second best (Wordpress 2.9.1) and compared that to my Plone development site (4.0a3). As a comparsion I did the first test with same ab command Jon used and my iMac gave following results: Wordpress: 7.13 requests / second Plone: 17.10 requests / second So far we have clear winner and Jons data hol

Usability and Plone

I've seen in here and there someone mentioning that usability of Plone is very good. Lot's of people - me included - like the fact that in Plone you don't have separate content management interface compared to some of Plones rivals. That counts for something when we're talking about good usability. Still that is only one quite small part of the whole picture. So what else is there? What do people like in Plone and where are the rough edges for end users? If general consensus is that Plone does have good usability, where is the actual proof of that? On plone.org I found one page in developer documentation mentioning following:  "Plone differentiates itself on usability. The intuitiveness of the user interface is what attracts people to Plone the most." I interpret this sentence meaning about the "one view for all" approach. What bugs me in this is that this whole sentence about good usability is about how the UI works compared to Plones competi

Problems with Plone version pinning

Since we splitted our one huge Plone site to several smaller ones we've been looking for the correct procedure to keep things running smoothly and to make updates as painless as possible. So far we haven't found the right way and every update has had some problems. Some of the problems are related to the fact that we have about 24 sites to maintain and adding a new content type to all of them means lots of work. Below are all the steps needed for update (and solutions we've founded so far). 1. Add your new product to buildout.cfg eggs and zcml list. Do this 24 times and you'll find yourself thinking there has to be better way. Luckily there is; you can extend your buildout.cfg with some general config file (eg. deployement.cfg). Most tutorials describe a way where you have those two files living side by side in filesystem and you run buildout with -c deployement.cfg option, but this doesn't remove the actual problem. We have our deployement.cfg living in diffe